Monday, October 2, 2017

BookReview - Avishi - Vishpala of Rig Veda Reimagined

I am in close contact with Sai Swaroopa ever since I reviewed Abhaya. I liked Abhaya so much, I decided to read Sai's future books. She gave me brief of Avishi almost a year back and I was eagerly waiting for print. I wanted to have printed edition of Avishi because I had very high hopes. Well, I didn't get printed version as the author is planning the same early next year and I cannot wait that long. I got an early review copy. I think I was one of the reviewers who got the copy when the book was just entered into Goodreads. I could have claimed the first review but missed the chance. 


Book blurb
Long before the times of Draupadi and Sita 
Immortalised in the hymns of Rig Veda 
But forgotten to the memory of India 
The Warrior Queen with an iron leg, Vishpala 
Brought up in the pristine forest school of Naimisha, Avishi reaches the republic of Ashtagani in search of her destiny. When Khela, the oppressive King of the neighbouring Vrishabhavati begins to overwhelm and invade Ashtagani, Avishi rises to protect her settlement, but at a high cost. 
Separated from her love, her settlement broken, with a brutal injury needing amputation of her leg, can Avishi overcome Khela? 
If stories about ancient India, especially those with strong women characters interest you, then Avishi is a story you must read! 
Talking about the story, our main protagonist is Avishi. A girl whose father was conspired in king's murder. She was attacked by assassins. She was taken to Naimisha, knowledge/power center of Jambudwipa from where any religious or social decision was taken. Avishi became a warrior under able guidance. She was sent to Ashtagani to seek her destiny. A fate was waiting for her in Ashtagani. Things changed drastically since the arrival of Avishi in Ashtagani. For more, I would request you to read the book.

Sai Swaroopa writes a story around strong female characters. Her stories show more female-centered characters than normal stories. Abhaya and Avishi both were different from the era they belong to. Avishi is shown as a woman fighting for a cause. Era was pictured when weddings were still under conceptualization, coins were yet to be introduced, barter was standard protocols between settlements. People had different priorities in that times. Sai has shown it wonderfully in very simple writing style. The best part about her books is to the point story with normal language. A good recommendation for any age group. 

Talking about ratings
  1. Cover - 4/5
  2. Content - 3.5/5
  3. Characters - 4.5/5
  4. Concept - 3.5/5
  5. Overall - 4/5
Book can be found at - Amazon 
Review from other readers can be found at GoodReads

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Like Us

Followers

Blog Archive